Sunday, November 6, 2016

Storybird









This week, I introduced one online tool Storybird to my third and fourth graders and taught them to write stories and create digital stories with artwork provided by the 
websites. Storybird is a visual storytelling community and it can help improve students reading, writing, and visual art abilities of all ages.  I think this online tool is very valuable to my teaching second language, and my students really enjoyed using the online tool. I connected my laptop to the classroom whiteboard to introduce the Storybird. I created an example and gave the students a storytelling assignment to introduce themselves and their family. I created an assessment by using rubric and questions to introduce the students themselves and their families. There are six questions based on the topic “Me and My Family” including “How many people are there in your family?”, “Who are they?”, “Introduce yourself and your favorite things to do?”, “Do you have any brothers or sisters? Talk about them.”, “How do your parents earn a living? (What are their jobs) talk about it.” “How many grandparents have you got? How often do you see them?”, and “Who do the housework in your family? (e.g. cooking, cleaning, and washing)”.

I really like the picture illustrating strategy in the Storybird and I will use this tool which allows me to design homework assignments and allows my students to design story books. Storybird can help students retain concepts and visualize what they are learning. I can use this tool to attract and motivate students to learn second language. I feel that giving them a right tool or platform, students can develop their own art creativity with the writing format from examples.

Response and short answer assessment: Students write responses based on the questions list provided (5 points)

Performance assessment:  Speaking by using the target language, reading aloud with fluency, and creating pictures based on the content. (5 points)


1 comment:

  1. A great way to use visual prompts to get kids talking. I love the idea of having them use it as a way to introduce their families. Using a rubric helps you to and your students define the parameters so they can be creating and accountable. Awesome use of this tool!

    ReplyDelete