Sunday, November 20, 2016

Podcast

I studied Top 50 Podcasts for Learning a Foreign Language for learning Chinese, and I like the podcast episode Let me do it, myself”. It is a 12 minute podcast lesson to teach shopping conversation, which includes two grammar points, four sentences, and one common shopping situation in Chinese grocery stores. The conversation in the podcast lesson targets beginners of Chinese learning such as elementary school students. The goal is to understand words and sentences and use the conversations in typical shopping situation. In the lesson, the instructors repeat each sentence five times.
I feel that by taking this Podcast lesson, students will be able to use one Chinese grammar sentence to ask price and figure out the price and count out the money. Students will be able to say money units in Chinese and apply the knowledge and skills in other similar shopping situations. Also, students will be able to ask for a shopping bag and pack the shopping bag by themselves. I think I can use this podcast lesson model to teach students some other conversations in shopping. For example, how to inquire or ask for help in stores such as “Can I have … please?”, “Excuse me, have you got any …?”. By using drill questions and providing students shopping lists in Chinese, I will be able to teach and practice more shopping conversations with the students in some speaking/conversation activities.  

1 comment:

  1. I can absolutely see how you could use this with your students. I for sure had fun listening to it. I think that by listening at their own speed, students would be more likely to use it outside of the classroom as well for practice.

    ReplyDelete